With the FY24 state budget in its final stage, we would like to offer these preliminary projections for charter school core aid rates for the 23-24 school year. We will update this page with finalized numbers when released by SED.
You can access the calculator here. The law describing the calculation can be found here. An explanation of the formula and calculation example appear below. If you have any questions, or would like to calculate tuition for a district that does not appear in our calculator, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We expect finalized tuition numbers to be published by NYSED later in May.
2023-2024 Charter School Basic Tuition is calculated using the following formula:
Charter school tuition for 2023-24 will be the lesser of either:
A. The product of:
i. Charter school basic tuition for the previous year (2022-23);
ii. The average of quotients of approved operating expense divided by the previous year’s operating expense for the sending district for the 2020-21, 2019-20, and 2018-19 (the formula now includes 4 years of quotients but excludes 2020-21);
B. 2021-22 Total General Fund Expenditures (TGFE) for the sending district divided by 2021-22 enrollment for the sending district. Note that this did not apply for any of the sending districts for which we calculated tuition.
For Example School District:
- Charter school basic tuition for 2022-23 = $14,216
- The Quotients for the 4 years prior to the base year, excluding 2020-21 are:
- Quotient of 18-19 AOE/17-18 AOE = 1.07
- Quotient of 19-20 AOE/18-19 AOE = 0.92
- Quotient of 20-21 AOE/19-20 AOE EXCLUDED
- Quotient of 21-22 AOE/20-21 AOE = 1.03
- 21-22 TGFE: $759,022,203
- 21-22 Resident Student Enrollment: 29,274
2023-24 Tuition for Example School District is the lesser of either:
- The product of:
- Charter school basic tuition for the previous year = $14,216; and
- The average of quotients of approved operating expense divided by the previous year’s operating expense for the sending district for each of the following: 18-19/17-18, 19-20/18-19, 21-22/20-21 (1.07+0.92+1.03)/3 = 1.007
A = $13,216 x 1.007= $13,316
- 2021-22 Total General Fund Expenditures for the sending district $759,022,203 divided by 2021-22 enrollment for the sending district 29,274.
B = $759,022,203/29,274 = $25,928
The lesser of A or B is $13,316
2023-24 Tuition Calculator
Select a district from the dropdown list and use the + sign to add it to the calculation table. Then, enter the expected enrollment from each district to calculate a total.
|Sending District||Tuition Rate||Enter Enrollment||Tuition|