A meeting of the SUNY Board of Trustees’ Charter Schools Committee (the “Committee”) was held yesterday, Tuesday, May 4, 2021. Attendees included Committee members and staff of the SUNY Charter Schools Institute (the “Institute”) as well as some representatives of the schools undergoing votes by the Committee.
The Committee addressed the following resolutions:
Application for Charter Renewal
The Committee discussed and unanimously approved the resubmission of the following proposed full-term charter renewal applications to the Board of Regents:
- Success Academy Charter Schools – NYC: See the combined renewal report.
- Success Academy Charter School – Bronx 3
- Success Academy Charter School – Harlem 6
- Icahn Charter Schools:
Application for Charter Revisions
The Committee discussed and unanimously approved the following charter revisions:
- Key Collegiate Charter School: Revision to Merge Key Collegiate Charter School into Forte Preparatory Academy Charter School. See the full revision resolution and Summary of Findings for more information.
- Charter of Atmosphere Academy Public Charter School: Revision to expand to operate a high school program commencing with 9th and 10th grade in the 2022/23 school year growing to serve 6th through 12th grade by the 2024/25 school year, the final year of its charter term. See the full revision resolution and Summary of Findings for more information.
The Institute, in its report to the Committee, reported on the following revision approved by the Institute under the provisions of the SUNY Board of Trustees’ delegation of duties to the Institute:
- Amber Charter Schools, an education corporation with the authority to operate more than one school, has requested the following revision:
- Amber Charter School III: Requests an enrollment decrease to serve 200 students in grades K-1 for the 2021-22 school year growing to serve 600 students in grades K-5 by the 2025-26 school year.
The Institute, in its report to the Committee, reported on the following planning years approved by the Institute under the provisions of the SUNY Board of Trustees’ delegation of duties to the Institute:
- Buffalo Commons Charter School
To read more about these resolutions, read public hearing summaries and watch a playback of the meeting, visit the Board of Trustees’ meeting page.
We look forward to sharing updates from meetings of the state’s charter school authorizers as they occur.