ABOUT: The New York Charter Schools Association is the non-partisan, nonprofit membership organization serving as the unified voice for the over 300 public charter schools in New York State and representing their interest at the state and local levels.
POSITION: In support of the New York Charter Schools Association, the Director of Policy & Government Relations will be responsible for managing all policy and governmental relations initiatives.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Responsibilities generally include but will not be limited to the activities identified below.
Legislator Engagement: The Director of Policy & Government Relations will create and implement a plan for legislator engagement by the Association and stakeholders in the charter community, including:
- Creating and executing a legislative advocacy and engagement plan for each session, with the goal of effectively promoting the interests of the state’s charter schools community;
- Tracking and analyzing members’ engagement and commitment related to topics of interest to the charter school community;
- Drafting letters, reports and other publications for external and internal audiences; and
- Identify and implement special advocacy and engagement opportunities as appropriate.
Government Relations and Communications: The Director of Policy & Government Relations will serve as an external face of the Association’s policy team by:
- Meeting with state legislators, other elected officials and key decision makers and stakeholders;
- Representing the Association at hearings and committee meetings;
- Drafting policy documents and statements for media consumption; and
- Fielding media requests related to policy issues.
Policy Strategy and Analysis: The Director of Policy & Government Relations will identify, support and advocate for policies that benefit the charter schools of New York State, including:
- Researching and analyzing proposed legislation that impacts the charter school community;
- Creating policy position proposals; and
- Leading organization wide work on annual policy initiatives and emergent policy initiatives.
- A Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Public relations and media experience is preferred.
- School experience is a plus.
- Bilingual, particularly English/Spanish fluency is a plus.
To apply, submit your resume and information to: https://forms.gle/tAj2jcNuC8JTKXuAA