Today, Governor Cuomo announced he will be issuing an Executive Order extending mandatory closure for all New York state schools through the remainder of the academic school year. In keeping with Executive Order No. 202.4, these additional days are not subject to the 180 day seat time requirement. A decision on allowing in-school instruction for summer school as well as summer camp operation will be made by the end of May.
Additionally, Governor Cuomo listed a number of factors to be considered before re-opening schools. This list is informative and we intend to use this as a starting point as we work with our partners on future webinars and guidance on re-opening plans.
- How your school will monitor the spread of COVID-19
- How your school can instill parent confidence and reinforce student safety
- The re-opening of extra-curricular activities
- Do protocols for special student populations change
- Any alternative academic calendars
On Tuesday, we will discuss the announcement by the Governor on school closure and the implications of closing for the rest of the school year as well as planning for re-opening.
As a reminder, our webinar on Tuesday, May 5 will be at 4 pm. To join the webinar, use the information below:
- Join by link: https://nycharters.zoom.us/j/330684941 Use this option to submit questions live via the Q&A function. Click here for a calendar invitation.
- Meeting ID: 330 684 941
- Join by phone: +1 9292056099,,330684941# US (New York)
As this situation is rapidly evolving, we encourage you to review the resources available on our COVID-19 Resources page. As always, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or would like to discuss any of the above.